May 13, 2009

Wednesday's Wine - Back by Popular Demand...

You'll notice that I didn't put the name of the wine in the post title. Yeah, it's not that good. But since I'm an equal opportunity kinda gal, I'm still going to review it. So what's the name of this not quite that good wine? Why it's Sutter Home Red. Yeah, that's the problem. It's Sutter Home. You know when I mentioned that I had a good box wine and everyone said..."ewww?" Well that "ewww" should have been saved for this wine. GACK! It's just too sweet for a red wine. And here's why: it has a sweet white grape in it. Just by including at white grape Sutter Home violated the unwritten RED wine rule that requires that a red wine be a blend of RED grapes...just sayin'... Anyway, I suppose it's okay for someone that prefers their red wines to be more pink and kinda sweet...and chilled. So, you all know who you are...you sweet wine drinkers you...heh. I know I'm being a bit biased here, but I'm not going to post a picture of the bottle or other information on it. You can pretty much find Sutter Home in any liquor store in the U. S. of A.

Of course, you might be wondering WHY on earth I would even buy such a low end wine. Well, I didn't buy it. I was sent home from the previously posted Mother's Day dinner with the remains (half the bottle). I will say, it's kind of my fault that my friend even had this bottle of wine. She went to 3 S Liquors (one of the ones I go to) and asked Joe (one of my wine guys) for suggestions. What's not my fault: she requested a cheap red wine on the sweet side...and that pretty much describes this wine! We had it with her sister's homemade stuffed bell peppers (which were pretty tasty!) and later I had it with cheese tortilla's with avocado. I also had it with meat ravioli. I think it would be better with ham or something else that's kind of salty. Basically, if you buy this wine anyway, serve it with anything that you would serve with White Zinfandel (another "gack"). Anyway...let me know if you try it and actually enjoy it...heh.

8 comments:

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

Lord knows I love 'cheap', but this just sounds like trouble. The kind of thing you drink while munching slim jims when you're 20 and heading out for a ski trip in West Virginia with people you met at a rest stop. And now I'm going to have nightmares... ;)

Anonymous said...

are some good inexpensive box wines out there (black box shiraz coems to mind) but you are so right - it is purely evil to snake a sweet white grape into a red wine. Bad Sutter Home, bad!

TheWeyrd1 said...

Jennifer...sorry about the nightmares you're gonna have now...heh. Goes to show one should be careful about what one begs for...

Citizen...snake...sneak...same diff!

Jannie Funster said...

Nope not a sweet red wine drinker here either.

Now... stuffed bell peppers, I can definitely go for, the ones with rice and stuff. Umm!

TheWeyrd1 said...

Jannie...yes, they were the ones stuffed with rice and stuff...heh.

Jannie Funster said...

Ummmmm! I've been getting so fat since my release show.

But it all ebbs and flows.

Just wish this little Haagen-dazs gut I'm getting would flow on the heck out of here.

And I can't find my ass-less hip waders anywhere, boo hoo.

And it's getting so freaking hot here already, as you may recall our lovely Austin temps. The running trail is not comfortable by the time 9:30 a.m. rolls around. I wanna go to Maine! Or the Pacific north coast.

Whine whine whine.

Wine! Great idea! :)

lynt said...

i can't sorry.
bad memories.

TheWeyrd1 said...

Jannie...I'll be posting a white wine soon just in time for the hot hot weather you're enduring down there in Austin!

Lynt...exactly my point. Sorry about that though...