July 1, 2009

Wednesday's Wine - Harlow Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon, 2006

As promised and early in the day (since I'm on vacation) I bring you the follow up review on one of the other Harlow Ridge Wines. This time it's the 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon from the Lodi region of California.

I went back to 3-S Liquors to pick this and another Harlow Ridge Wine for about $7.00 or $8.00 (I really should write the prices down). Anyway, the clerk, who is a wine geek himself and a neighbor, said he didn't find this Cabernet Sauvignon that good. I have to say I disagree. While hunting for a picture of the label, I found this VERY BRIEF review:

"Jammy and spicy, with distinctive geranium notes and herbal cherry flavors on a medium frame."

I not sure what "geranium notes" taste like although I understand that tastes are often associated closely with scents. If you know what geraniums smell like, then this wine may TASTE like what you think geraniums would taste like based on their scent...but only vaguely since it's just "notes." I do agree that it's somewhat "jammy" and definitely spicy and a bit of cherry midway on the palate. Also a bit of alcohol burn on the finish. I will give the neighbor guy some due since this wine is definitely not a typical Cabernet Sauvignon. On the other hand, I liked it. And for the price, I think it's a pretty good value.

Keep in mind that it's a bit spicier than most Cabernet's when deciding on your menu. I had it with bbq pork loin and later with a blackened steak salad. Both times the flavors of the meal stood up to the wine.

Enjoy!

UPDATE: I got the Harlow Ridge wines for $7.00 it turns out when I went back to find out and NOW they're at a new sale price of $6.00!!!

9 comments:

KathSW said...

If it tastes anything like a "Martha Washington" geranium smells, then we had better ask George to be certain. :)

IMO, a wine with geranium "notes" might just look better than it actually tastes, smells or *smastes*. ;)

PS -- Still haven't found that brand anywhere near my house.... may have to venture out further into undiscovered territory.

secret agent woman said...

Geraniums have a sharp scent, like marigolds. I actually like that - maybe it means the wine has a bit of a bite to it?

TheWeyrd1 said...

Kath...you might have to go into the BIG city...heh...but I actually liked this wine quite a bit.

secret agent...I think you are correct! It did have a bit of a bite, which is why it didn't seem like a typical cabernet to me. If you get a chance to try it let me know what you think.

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

Hmmm, I like a bit of a bitey wine, particularly for the after dinner glass.
I started to keep a wine diary but fell off with it because I was talking too much. Kind of describes my whole life.

KathSW said...

Probably just keeping missing it because my mind keeps thinking *Harlot* Ridge. ;)

TheWeyrd1 said...

jennifer...um...so were you "talking" too much in your wine diary? I'm a bit confused by that. But yeah, I think you'll like this cabernet. It's not so much bitey as a tad sharp and a bit spicy.

TheWeyrd1 said...

Kath...gee, I wonder why you'd be thinking THAT...do tell...heh.

Jannie Funster said...

I had 2 glasses of some red wine from a box last night. It was actually quite good, forget the name. But I did NOT feel good this morning. At all. I am such a lightweight drunk these past couple years. Ah, is it all downhill form here?

TheWeyrd1 said...

Jannie...which box wine...not that I'm interested...who me? Yeah, I had two beers last night an Indigo Girls concert and now my head hurts. So unfair.