January 27, 2008

Car repairs

As would be expected, I'm a do it yourselfer. Well, except if it involves first time home maintenance or electricity ( I did the home maintenance/electrical thing once and it blew up in my face...we don't wanna go there again). Simple car repairs are no problem...generally speaking. I've changed out a heater hose, despite warnings that a professional ought to do it so that a proper complete water vacuum is maintained. I've replaced small parts and even did 3 valve cover replacements on my old truck until I discovered that I had "blow by" which requires a major engine rebuild (I also did something to the truck that required removing the steering wheel, but that was so long ago I can't remember what the issue was...though it might have been related to poor radio reception).

So you'd think replacing a dead battery would be a piece of cake. Unscrew a couple of nuts, pull off the connections and remove the old battery...put in the new one and do the reverse with the connections and nuts. Yeah, how hard could that be? Did I mention that I bought the '04 Subaru used and the dead battery was installed in 2003? Okay, no big deal there. How about I live in Colorado and I suspect the previous owner lived in the mountains where it snows from October until Mayish or so? Yeah, so much moisture there. Not like on the plains of Colorado which are remarkably dry (don't tell anyone, but it really doesn't snow nearly as much as people think down here in the "valley"). My point is, RUSTED nuts. If my car was a male, it would be a very sad day. As it is, I haven't driven the car in over a week and it's supposed to actually snow tomorrow...sigh. I can not remove the rusted nuts. It requires solvent, special sockets and strength. I bought the solvent and I probably have enough strength if the solvent works like advertised. But I don't have deep enough sockets. Alas this is a job for deep sockets...

7 comments:

Websketch (Web Sass) said...

Or at least a really strong pair of vice grips! I always keep a can of Liquid Wrench in the garage as we never have new car material. I have bought a few deep sockets tho at Checkers or AutoZone and they are not cheap. Not too bad but for one project it seems a lot. Therefore I think I have the more tools then any Dyke without a mechanics certification should have but I hate to give in and usually do get the job done. Good luck!

RED MOJO said...

You can cut the nuts off. I've done that. New nuts are very cheap. You can use a hack saw, or dremel tool, or sawsall. Anything with a metal-cutting blade or carbide blade. Good luck!

TheWeyrd1 said...

Hey Web and Red...thanks for the suggestions. I have a friend popping by with deeper sockets and a hacksaw just in case...lol

RED MOJO said...

Hey, hope you got your car running! I have a little surprise for you over at Halfabubbleoff.

TheWeyrd1 said...

For some people having friends with deep pockets is a very nice thing. For me, friends with deep sockets really come in handy for car battery replacement. Yes, I on the road again...la la la...

TheWeyrd1 said...

Thanks to Red Mojo for a nice award! I hardly think I deserve it, but it's nice to be recognized!

yenbar said...

Really RED MOJO?..CUT THE NUTS OFF?..SOUNDS PAINFUL!
Sorry WEYRD, couldn't resist that one.