January 16, 2008

Interior Decorating

Buying a home brings out the interior decorator in some folks. For me it brings out the cheapskate. I call my style: Late College/Early Bachelorette. Then, I had a date come by one evening to see my new place (okay, it's not really that new anymore, but I still have boxes to unpack 19 months later, so it seems new...ish) and it was then that I realized my place was somewhat NOT very sexy or new. Truth is, my condo needs new floors in the kitchen and bathroom as the stick down tile is scooching apart revealing the original 1983 gold linoleum...and it will need new counters eventually because fake butcher block is NOT coming back...and the appliances are 24 years old and occasionally cranky...and the tub needs reglazing... I'm sure you see my point.

So all this was in the back of my mind when I told my new blog buddy, Red Mojo, the other day that she had inspired me with her description of her home. I decided it was time to look into finally getting a chair for my living room. I've had a pretty folding chair holding the spot for me (no really, it is pretty). Off I went on Saturday in search of a small leather chair to complement my old
comforter covered futon and complete my living room furniture collection. I figured I might also get a small ottoman to go with it...or a maybe, instead, get a really small recliner like my dad's (to fit a corner of a hall office space). THEN, I saw a small brown leather sofa that went with a small brown leather chair.

Infatuation ensued. This was a BADDDDDD idea...for my wallet (by the way,
small is important as my condo living room is rather cozy...complete with a real working fireplace...and proportions are key according to my mom, the semi-pro interior decorator). Which then led me to calling my mom for advice. She actually said it was a good deal (pricewise) and I should go ahead. THAT was a BADDERRRRRR idea...for my wallet. She was supposed to say "Don't do it, save your money." I felt compelled to comparison shop. Online I went. I discovered another small leather sofa and chair, in a tan color, at the same furniture warehouse. Infatuation grew. I dragged a friend (who conveniently has a truck) through the store to look at all the options. I found a nice ottoman too...after much discussion.

Really though, I was just procrastinating...I hate to spend large sums of money. My friends think I'm a tight wad. It's just that I tend to be careful. I bought a small condo, because who needs so much space when one's single. I've made do with old unmatched furniture since I left home for college...because I was doing my part for the environment and not being a conspicuous consumer...saving for my retirement, 'cause a gal can not be too careful in that regard. I do not spend big money unless I'm in love or if it's practical. Infatuation does not love make. So...why did I just drop $800.00 for living room furniture? Okay only $750.00...because I am taking the ottoman back...

5 comments:

RED MOJO said...

Congratulations, I wish my livingroom furniture cost $800.00 Wow! You got a good deal. You should be happy. My thing is, I don't mind spending a lot of money, but I make sure what I buy is well made and will stand the test of time, both wear and style-wise, because it's gonna last.
Nice post!

TheWeyrd1 said...

You mean you get what you pay for, right!?! 'Cause I didn't say it was HIGH quality leather... Not that it's the fake stuff, though.

RED MOJO said...

Yes, I didn't mean that I thought yours was poorly made. I meant I don't mind spending money for something substantial that will last. I take really good care of things, so generally they last a long time.

TheWeyrd1 said...

and...it's not that substantial 'cause one really does get what one pays for...lol Thin leather on the furniture is cheaper. Good thing I don't have a pets, children or um....

Anonymous said...

"you get what you pay for" I was going to tell you just that :)I'm also in the market for a couch and a new recliner. You would faint if I told how much I plan on spending!