December 21, 2008

Saturday and Sunday Surf - Driving the ACTUAL Highway(s)

So Friday we sort of got released early, on our own honor, from work. I ran errands and then went home to get ready for my LONG drive to Austin for the holidays. Lucky dog Tucker spent the day at the Doggie Day Spa. And this time it WAS a day spa. He started out with a half day of Doggie Day Camp where he impressed the Doggie Day Spa workers with his improving social skills. Apparently he's getting over his fear of large dogs. Then he ended the day in the Grooming Salon, being pampered (although I did hear they provide anal gland cleansing as needed...ewww...I'm kinda glad there's someone else willing to do this...heh).

Anyway, I finished my laundry and was trying to geared up to vacuum and pack when I hit the proverbial WALL. I was WAY too tired to drive south Friday night, as originally planned, to stay over at a friend's house in Pueblo, CO. I barely had enough energy to pick up Tucker from the Doggie Day Spa
and drive home. I did manage to write several Christmas cards (though probably not all the ones I should have) and watch a couple of shows I had backlogged on my DVR while doing so. Then I went to bed, only to wake up at 4am. WHYYY!?! I did snooze on and off until 5:30am. Prompted by the alarm, I got up, did the packing and vacuuming as well as the usual morning routine (walk Tucker, make breakfast, watch Tucker NOT eat...cajole Tucker...give up and packed the food too).

At 7:30am, I drove across the street to the Diamond Shamrock for coffee and then hit the road for Texas. I stopped briefly in Pueblo to meet my friend at his office (since I haven't seen his office yet and can get a business tax write off for the mileage...I also coach him on retirement plans...heh). Tucker finally ate his breakfast while we were waiting in front of the office. THEN we really started driving. It was all good until we actually got into the state of Texas. WARNING: It is NOT safe to drive even a few miles over the posted speed limits in the state of Texas while in a car with out of state license plates. TRUST me on this. Between my brother and I, we have collected 3 tickets for 11 miles over the speed limit. Not 12, not 13, just 11. If you drive over the speed limit, but definitely under 10 miles over, you will STILL be pulled over and issued a warning. I refer to this as "Driving while living out of state." This will result in, not only a delay, but blood pressure and adrenaline spikes, followed by shaking...go figure. Yep, I got a warning. Thank you cruise control!

I did keep track of flashing lights. Including myself, I witness 5 pull overs. Two were trucks with Texas plates (there are A LOT of trucks in Texas...BIG trucks...and SUVs!) and they do tend to drive really fast. Even when I was only slightly speeding, I got passed a few times and later when I had my cruise control set for the actual speed limit, I was passed left and right...well mostly to the left...heh. The other two vehicles and mine were from the state of Colorado. I'm revising my earlier ticket name to "Driving in Texas while living in Colorado." It's completely bogus that so many Texas vehicles were given a pass for speeding as long as they're under 10 miles over the posted limit, but if you live out of state you get pulled over. I have a friend whose husband is a Texas sheriff. She told me to ask for a radar print out and to also ask the officer when was the last time the radar was calibrated. I don't know if that would work, but since I didn't actually get a ticket, I didn't want to antagonize the highway patrol guy by asking. I did hedge my bets by letting the officer know that I am in fact a Texan by birth...he did happen to ask if I was visiting family after he asked where I was heading which led to my subtly mentioning my home state status...heh. After 16 hours on the road (1 more hour than usual due to doggie exercise and potty stops) we arrived in Austin at 12:30am (for those of you counting, there is a time change from Denver to Austin). And then I was too wired to sleep well...sigh.

Okay, that's my story of driving actual highways, instead of the information highway, and I'm sticking to it! Tucker slept most of the way, which was a good thing, and now after a day of playing with my nephews and meeting my sister-in-law's friends, he's all Tuckered out...heee. Hopefully, we'll both sleep well tonight. Just in case I don't make it back online Happy (fill in the blank) to all!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often leave before dawn for just that reason - too tired to dirve in the afternoon andtoo awake to sleep to a decent hour in the morning.

TheWeyrd1 said...

Citizen...I should have just gotten up and on my way then, but I was still tired and hoping I'd somehow fall asleep again...sigh.

Jannie Funster said...

Ahh, I went into a skid on a downhill turn today. Luckily all was okay and of course I forgot in my panic to turn into the skid but yuck, winter driving not my forte anymore.

And here's what I said to you on my blog today...

Weyrd1: Next year either take the shuttle bus, which is actually kind of a fun experience, or park by Casa de Luz around 5:30 and have dinner either there or somewhere along Barton Spgs, which will kill an hour, then bobs-yer-uncle, mosey on over to the Trail and you’ll have it made!

Jim adn I drove to CO and back with our old dog, well he was young at the time, I mean our previous dog. He was such a freaking trooper! Dogs + car travel = good times.

TheWeyrd1 said...

Jannie...thanks for sharing. Still not gonna convince my brother to go because he's become a tightwad. He's tight about money and now he's tight about time...sigh...someday he's gonna have all the time in the world and no energy...

Jdancer8 said...

glad to hear your travels went safely. Hope you enjoy your time with the fam. I head to NH on friday to spend six days with Nannie. Pray for good travel weather. We'll have to catch up upon both of our returns!

TheWeyrd1 said...

J...Hope you make it to your destination! Happy Happy!

LostInColor said...

OMG! You're a texan??!! just kidding. Stopping by to catch up on your blog. :)

TheWeyrd1 said...

Lost...yes, and I've been told for 23 plus years that it's a BAD thing! But I really don't claim Texas much anymore. I prefer Colorado! I'll be a semi native soon!!!