May 5, 2008

Make My Monday - Methodist Lesbians Defy Church

Over at Towleroad they posted a story about a long time couple (25 years and going strong) who held a "Union Ceremony" at their church in defiance of the Methodist Church's vote "to keep the statement that the practice of homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching". They said, regarding the situation, "When the church turns her back on us, withholds blessing from us, does God withhold blessing? Does God stop loving us? We continue to be the church to and for each other. We continue to be the instruments of God's light and love." My dad, a former Methodist minister, would have approved of that thought.

4 comments:

Jdancer8 said...

I really appreaciate this post...I think its a beautiful statement.

yenbar said...

I have the same issues with my religion..I choose to see my faith not in terms of the men in charge but the man who may religion is based on..not to get too preachy but..I don't think Jesus disaprroves of my being a lesbian so the non-acceptance of those in charge doesn't affect my faith...if that makes any sense..

TheWeyrd1 said...

J...I thought so too.

Yen...good for you and thanks for stopping by!

Websketch (Web Sass) said...

I agree. God is love and vice versa. That is all you need.