May 20, 2008

Tuesday's Time Waster - Chatting Online

Yes, I've been known to chat online for hours at a time. Usually, this occurs on the weekend. But sometimes I play hooky from my career to chat with known and unknown people. I pick their brains, they attempt to pick mine. There are several chatting options (and more developed everyday). Now we can even chat on web cam. Though that is a bit much for me. I only used my web cam a couple of times before abandoning it for the written word.

The earliest chat option I ever used was 12 years or so ago when I chatted regularly in the AOL chat rooms. Then I stopped paying for AOL and that was the end of chat for a year. Later, I discovered planetout.com and then gay.com. Yeah, it was nice at the beginning. They had room monitors to boot out the "bad" people and you could actually have intelligent chat about romantic notions. Well, maybe not. Now a days, you have to be really careful there as they gave up monitors several years ago to save money and in fact started charging lots of money to get some services that used to be advertisement supported. And they still have ads. Too many nasty predator types hanging out there to go regularly.

Now a blog site can get any number of chat applications to embed in the page to provide a private chat option available to regular visitors. I've thought about doing it here. It would cut down on the need for having all the various messenger services now available. And although, I have accounts with them all, I rarely use them these days. Unless, of course, I'm in the mood to waste time chatting with known and unknown people...to pick their brains, etc.

9 comments:

Trop said...

I chat a lot, mostly with Court when we're at work. She always has funny stories to tell about her office (she works in a dean's office).

Jdancer8 said...

dont you date get rid of MSN how else will I pick YOUR brain for all your advice????

TheWeyrd1 said...

Trop...I would so prefer to chat with a girlfriend on a daily basis!

J...how could I possibly leave you high and dry?

Jdancer8 said...

please change date to DARE hehe. (thank goodness you'd never leave me high and dry...however im sure it would be more like short and dry....do to my challenge in the height department)

Anonymous said...

I've never been ina chat room, although I have done some chatting through IM in my email provider. I rarely have the patience to sit still long enough.

TheWeyrd1 said...

Citizen...from what little I know of you, you don't strike me as the type to waste time on much...lol

yenbar said...

I was never on to go to chat rooms until I met WEB and found out about the DEN.Now it has become part of my daily routine. I have met some of the most interesting women thru this chatroom.

Unknown said...

I have never been one for chat rooms but was lured to the den by my one and only. I have met some interesting women there and have for the most part enjoyed the chats. It's nice to know there is somewhere to go and talk with the same people and get to know them and their personalities on a more personal level. I have to say, I do prefer to chat one on one but if given the chance to get a word in edgewise group chat is okay too. Did I mention that I am extremely glad that I was lured to the den? I just may have found the love of my life there... 3 guesses weyrd and the first 2 don't count...Talk soon...Patti

TheWeyrd1 said...

Hey Yen and Patti...hmmm let me guess who...hehehe